2 Days Into The Wild in Wanaka
A relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable way to experience some of the magic and wonderful scenery of Central Otago and Southern Lakes from a unique perspective, combining comfortable Glamping with low key rafting.
This achievable river journey offers the chance to explore two of our country’s beautiful rivers - the Hawea and Clutha and experience the relaxing pleasure of ‘camping’ riverside in comfort and luxury.
Day 1 | Experience The Hawea River
Your guide will be in touch with you the evening prior to confirm all clothing and equipment requirements, and then the following morning will collect you from your accommodation in either Wanaka or Queenstown and drive to the starting point at Lake Hawea.
After getting changed, loading equipment and reviewing the safety procedures for navigating your raft, your journey downstream commences. Expect a relaxing yet exciting and completely invigorating experience as you make your way down stream. Hang on through the rapids, spot fish and swim through the big pools or just kick back, relax, and enjoy the stunning central scenery as you drift by.
Lunch is a gourmet picnic on the river bank, and not long after you’ll arrive in at your luxury camp at Horse Shoe Bend. The camp includes Scandinavian Tipis, hot showers, cold refreshing beverages, bean bags and hammocks by the river. It’s a super chilled place to relax away the afternoon whilst your guide prepares a gourmet feast (cooked on the open fire) for your evening meal.
Day 2 | Venture down The Clutha River
The following day after a leisurely breakfast, your journey downstream continues. Today you can swap from raft to kayak or vice versa if you wish. We paddle through the big swim hole where you can try the big rope swing and later we arrive at the confluence of the mighty Clutha River – big deep and blue.
Here is a good time to try your hand at fishing, with any fish being able to be cooked for lunch, or simply floating down the river counting fish in the deep waters below. After lunch we arrive at the take out point where a waiting 4WD will collect us and our raft and transport you back to Wanaka/Queenstown?
Short Breaks by Touch of Spice
Touch of Spice short breaks are a unique way to reconnect with loved ones and create memories that will last for years to come. Whether it be a special occasion or simply a long weekend away, short breaks don't come in cooler (or more exclusive) packages than our getaways.
Talk to a Travel Designer for a free consultation
Talk to one of our awesome Travel Designers or share this with a friend and start planning your next getaway today. Click below to drop us a line.
- 1 nights accommodation in a comfortable ‘Tipi Glamping Tent’ – Set up with double beds, linen sheets for couples or stretchers with linen sleeping bags and cotton liners for singles, twin set up & children, pillows and towels
- 1x Private Guide for 2 Days
- All transfers to/from accommodation (Wanaka/Queenstown) in luxury 4WD vehicle
- DOC Concession fees, Resource Consent fees, Private Landowner access fees
- All food, provisions for evening, wine & beer
- All rafting clothing and equipment as well as safety equipment
- Hot shower and portable flushing toilet
- Please talk to a Travel Designer today for an accurate quote based on season, group size, and availability.
- Suitable for groups
- The Hawea River is grade 2 fun and bumpy
- The Clutha River is great for kayaking or rafting, fishing can also be done on the Clutha.
- The Camp site is pre-established so camp or overnight equipment isn’t carried on the rafts/kayaks.
- Clients aren’t required to do any help around camp other than kick back and relax in hammocks, read by river, swim or snooze the afternoon away.
- Low / no fitness required for this trip, although guests need to be able to sit in a raft for up to 4 hours per day.